Strengthening the City’s Key Economic Drivers
The life sciences sector is a major driver of Central Indiana’s economy and is therefore a key contributing factor to the vitality of Indianapolis. While the local life sciences sector is robust, competition is intensifying as other markets strive to attract the investments, companies and talent required for continued growth. Cross-sector collaboration, coordination and alignment are key to ongoing economic prosperity in Indianapolis and elsewhere around the state.
A well-development talent pipeline – especially in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields – is integral to a thriving life sciences sector. Yet too many Indiana students enter college unprepared for math and science courses, and many Indiana college graduates in STEM fields leave the state to find employment.
To ensure the continued strength of the local life sciences economy, the Foundation has established the following goal in our Vitality of Indianapolis focus area: to strengthen the life sciences sector in Indianapolis.
Learn more about how we support the vitality of Indianapolis below, or contact us for more information.
To help reach our goal of strengthening the life sciences sector in Indianapolis, we’ve identified the following strategies:
- Supporting the systemic and operating conditions necessary to sustain and grow a robust life sciences cluster.
- Attracting, retaining, and developing great life sciences talent across the education and workforce development pipeline, with an emphasis on STEM preparation. We have identified three STEM talent preparation strategies:
- Raising the quality of STEM teachers in Indianapolis classrooms.
- Establishing a strong STEM education foundation for students (pre-K through postsecondary).
- Increasing interest and engagement of students in STEM fields.