CREATING A MORE VIBRANT INDIANAPOLIS
Technological advancements and ongoing globalization are rapidly reshaping the U.S. economy. To remain competitive when it comes to attracting and retaining employers and talent, the greater Indianapolis area must continue to focus on creating more of what the Brookings Institution refers to as “good and promising jobs” that are relevant for the 21st century economy. We must simultaneously ensure that people in greater Indianapolis are prepared to fill these jobs.
Dick Fairbanks created his namesake Foundation to enhance the vitality of Indianapolis. He believed that the Foundation could accomplish this vision by supporting key economic drivers – like talent attraction and development initiatives – that could help ensure Indianapolis remains a thriving city.
The Foundation has established the following goal in this focus area:
Identify and support key economic drivers that will help to create a more vibrant Indianapolis. To accomplish this goal, the Foundation will:
- Support efforts to grow the supply of good and promising jobs in greater Indianapolis, with an emphasis on talent development, attraction and retention.
- Identify and address the systemic conditions that prevent the adult workforce from securing good and promising jobs.
- Support the work of select organizations in Indianapolis designated by Dick Fairbanks during his lifetime as Family Legacy grantees. To the extent possible, Foundation funding for these grantees will align with the focus area goals established by the Foundation.
Learn more about how we support the vitality of Indianapolis below, or contact us for more information.
To support efforts to grow the supply of good and promising jobs in greater Indianapolis, with an emphasis on talent development, attraction and retention, the Foundation will:
- Support the systemic and operating conditions necessary to develop, attract, and retain talent that is well-prepared for employment within Central Indiana’s advanced industries.
- Identify and support proven and promising programs and initiatives that aim to increase the supply of good and promising jobs in greater Indianapolis.
- Identify and support proven and promising programs and initiatives that establish a strong Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education foundation for students from pre-kindergarten through postsecondary education.
- Raise awareness of proven and promising policies and strategies designed to increase the supply of good and promising jobs.
To identify and address the systemic conditions that prevent the adult workforce from securing good and promising jobs, the Foundation will:
- Address the digital divide by supporting efforts to increase broadband access and systemic solutions to increase digital literacy.
- Identify ways to enhance the quality of the career navigation system to improve awareness of, preparation for, and successful placement into good and promising jobs.